Lustleigh’s Parish Church dates from the 1200s and sits at the heart of the village. At the show, parishioners will be selling a range of home-made, locally sourced products.
This includes delicious home-made cakes, preserves made with local fruit, and a range of local produce.
What could be more traditional than a cake from the local church stall?
More about St John the Baptist Parish Church
The church of St John the Baptist is the village’s Church of England parish church. It is at the centre of the village.
The oval shape of the churchyard suggests that a Romano-British burial ground may have first occupied this site. This conjecture is supported by the presence of Datuidoc’s Stone in the north aisle (originally in the porch), dating from around 550–600 AD.
The first part of the church, including the basic rectangle and the south porch, was built around 1250. The south chapel was added in the early 14th century by the Lord of the Manor, Sir William le Prouse. The church tower was built in the late 14th century. In the 15th century, the north aisle was built, including removal of the north wall and replacing it with pillars.
The last major addition to the church was the vestry, built in Victorian times.
Matins every first Sunday at 11am
Sung Communion every second Sunday at 11am
Evensong every third Sunday at 6pm
Family Service every fourth Sunday at 11am